Monday, March 4, 2019

Eden Park






During my visit to Eden Park this caption grabbed my attention.


Here is its origin.

Wrdsmith:

 A man and his typewriter.

In a world where too many people are chained to the rat race, Wrdsmth's work makes us pause.His artwork doesn't blur with its surrounding environments as people fly down the freeway to meet the demands of their days. Rather, his writing, incorporated in his street art, gives people renewed hope and repaired confidence. It is through this artwork that we are reminded to believe in ourselves and trust our intuition."You are so fckng talented. I hope you fckng know that." one piece reads. "Aspire to inspire others and the universe will take note" another says." As his artwork continues to pop up in Los Angeles, London,New York,Paris and New Orleans,people have been asking "Who exactly is Wrdsmth ?"
It could be said that Wrdsmth's career, one of LA's most fastest rising street artists, happened by fate. "I was at a crossroads. I was working in advertising in Chicago and I wasn't happy".Wrdsmth packed up and moved west to Los Angeles. His success in LA has proved to him that he made the right move. "Los Angeles has been good to me. I've published a novel,and written short films and screenplays. The last two years have been great creatively, but I felt I needed an active hobby. I needed something that got me out of the house,but didn't distract from my writing."
Always inspired by street art,Wdsmth began to gravitate towards word based street art. "I thought 'Hey, maybe people will stop and actually read things if I include words in my artwork'". When he initially started experimenting with different styles,he thought of the outline of a typewriter and using stickers to slap on words. "When I envisioned a typewriter, I thought of the name 'Wrdsmth'.'Wrdsmth' to me makes me think of the classic writer in New York, a writer from the good times. I thought of that classic writer who writes for the pure art and passion of writing."
When he first moved to Los Angeles, he "started referring to the act of chasing one's dreams as 'doing time in Hollywood',but I quickly realized that it was 'doing time anywhere' as people all over this big blue marble are chasing their dreams or dreaming about chasing them. It's universal."
When talking about his own experience with dream chasing,he pauses for a moment."The words I use in my work, I think it something people need to hear.I wasn't happy in Chicago. I was much happier when I put time into my dream. Even when I was struggling in Los Angeles and sleeping on peoples' couches, I was so much happier. When it comes down it to,don't just talk about doing it (your dream), just do it."

"I don't want to be just the 'motivational guy',he shares. Surely some of his pieces, such as "Listening is sexy as hell",take a step away from the topic of motivation and just make you smile to yourself. Whatever you take from of his work,it is all a silver lining to Wrdsmth."People email me and say 'Hey, you helped me fall in love' or 'You got me some action'.I love paying it forward and reaching out to people. On so many different levels,I don't want this feeling to go away".
Although his success was unexpected, he says being in the right place at the right time was part of the equation."I am first and foremost a writer. The emphasis will always be on the writing. I never considered myself an artist,but I love combining these two worlds of art and writing.Writing has always been my shadow and now art feels like a new, old friend." As his art career continues to grow,Wrdsmth feels confident as he looks towards the future."I've already broken the golden rule 'Don't write about Hollywood',so now it's upwards and onwards".
To learn more about Wrdsmth and his work, you can check out his Tumblrand Instagram.